Hagedorn Celebrates National Agriculture Week
March 11, 2019
Hagedorn: Southern Minnesota’s Ag Producers Are Critically Important
WASHINGTON – America is celebrating National Agriculture Week, which runs March 10-16, 2019.
U.S. Rep. Jim Hagedorn (MN-01) grew up on his family’s grain and livestock farm near Truman, Minn., and continues to support the important role of agriculture and agri-businesses through his work on the U.S. House Committee on Agriculture.
Hagedorn issued the following statement relating to National Agriculture Week:
“National Agriculture Week provides an opportunity to recognize the important contributions of southern Minnesota’s agricultural producers, processors and ag-equipment manufacturers. Minnesota’s First District is one of the top crop and livestock producing congressional districts in the nation. Given that, on average, one U.S. farm feeds 165 people annually, the impact of our farmers reaches throughout the United States and across the globe.”
Five facts about Minnesota’s contributions to agriculture:
- Minnesota produces more turkeys than any other state.
- Minnesota is the fourth largest agricultural exporting state in the nation.
- Minnesota’s First District is the second largest hog producing congressional district in the country (and hogs are Minnesota’s top livestock export).
- Soybeans are Minnesota's top agricultural export commodity, contributing 30 percent of Minnesota’s total agriculture exports.
- Minnesota’s First District is home to nearly 20,000 farms.
Jim Hagedorn was elected in 2018 to represent Minnesota’s First District in the U.S. House of Representatives. He grew up on his family’s grain and livestock farm near Truman. Jim’s father, former U.S. Congressman Tom Hagedorn (MN-02), grandfather, and great-grandfather were all southern Minnesota farmers. Jim currently resides in the rural farming community of Blue Earth. Hagedorn brings policy experience to Capitol Hill from time spent as a congressional aide to former U.S. Congressman Arlan Stangeland (MN-07) and a congressional relations officer for two non-partisan U.S. Department of the Treasury agencies. Hagedorn serves on the House Committees on Agriculture and Small Business to promote farming, Main Street enterprises and southern Minnesota’s way of life.